Opened in 1952 as a Thanksgiving Memorial to the men and women who served in the Second World War, the hall was built for the benefit of the residents of Great Barton and its surrounding area.
The hall is managed by a Committee comprising representatives of clubs and organisations, the Parish Council and others elected at each Annual General Meeting.The Management Committee is made up of representatives from the village hall user organisations. The Annual General Meeting of the Management Committee will be held in November each year and is open to the public. Throughout the year the committee meet monthly, but these meetings are not open to the public.
The members of The Village Hall Management Committee are Managing Trustees of Great Barton Thanksgiving Fund –registered Charity No. 304885. The Great Barton Parish Council is appointed as Custodian Trustees. The Charity is not registered for Value Added Tax purposes.
The playing fields adjacent are owned by the Village Hall Charity.
The Management Committee aims to provide a suitable venue for any club or group at an affordable hiring charge. This will encourage the bringing together of people of all ages, race and religion for the benefit of all within the community and the companionship that results. It actively promotes a culture of equality and diversity, and works to a programme of action to make this effective within the community.
Great Barton Village Hall is located in the centre of a rural Suffolk village with access from the main road between Bury St Edmunds and Ixworth. The village has a population of approximately 2100 residents - 32% of residents are aged over 60 years and 20% are aged under 20 years.
It has adopted Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety Policies.